Some of my recent publications are:
- “Pacifying the Empire of Love: Sport, Spectacle and Security in Rio de Janeiro,” Brasiliana: Journal for Brazilian Studies (special issue: Pacification, Violence and Geographies of Class and Race in Rio de Janeiro), 4(2): 254-282.
- “Invading the Favela: Echoes of Police Practices among Brazil’s Urban Poor.” In Policing and Contemporary Governance: The Anthropology of Police in Practice, William Garriott, ed. Palgrave Macmillan.
- “Lost bullets: fetishes of urban violence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.” Anthropological Quarterly, 84(20):411-438.
- “States of Insecurity,” in Victoria Bernal, ed. Contemporary Cultures, Global Connections: Anthropology for the 21st Century. Cognella Press. (reprint of 2009 article)
- “The Owner of the Hill: Masculinity and Drug-Trafficker Power in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,” The Journal of Latin American and Caribbean Anthropology, 15(2):317-337.
- “States of Insecurity: everyday emergencies, public secrets and drug trafficker power
in a Brazilian favela,” PoLAR: Political and Legal Anthropology Review, 32(1): 407-423.
- “The Bastard Child of the Dictatorship: the Comando Vermelho and the Birth of ‘Narco-Culture’ in Rio de Janeiro,” The Luso-Brazilian Review, 45(1): 118-145.
- “Barbarians on the Beach: media narratives of violence in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil,” Crime Media Culture, 3(3): 305-325.
- “The Shutdown of Rio de Janeiro: the Poetics of Drug Trafficker Violence, Anthropology Today, 21(5): 3-6.